…not of the house, of the garden!

i’d been keeping an eye on the weather forecast and since this week has been predicted to be fairly clear, rain-wise, i thought i might as well get on with clearing and tidying up the garden, ready for spring planting/sowing. It was also half term last week, so i wasn’t about to do it with all the (bored) kids hanging over the fence!

I did quite well today – only about an hour and a half’s worth of work, but that’s okay. It achieved a fair bit (on only 6 hours of sleep too), and I’m pleased with it – its looking better already. I went round with a large plastic bag initially, picking up all the rubbish that had been chucked over the fence, then pulled out all the stuff underneath the bedroom window and started to sort it out, discovering lots of pots of different sizes that can be reused in the process. Finally after throwing out broken pot and bits of rubbish, i stacked it all back up neatly. looks better now.

before - area underneath bedroom window. Pots, canes, greenhouse tubes, bags of compost, wheelbarrow, spare bits of wood, lots and lots of weeds, spiders and slugs, all piled high. it aint pretty.

"before" - area underneath bedroom window. Pots, canes, greenhouse tubes, bags of compost, wheelbarrow, spare bits of wood, lots and lots of weeds, spiders and slugs, all piled high. it ain't pretty.

More photos behind the cut… including the “after” shots!

before - area underneath living room window

"before" - area underneath living room window

before - the (garden) rubbish heap by the gate. This is ugly and an eyesore - Im determined to get it shifted this year.

"before" - the (garden) rubbish heap by the gate. This is ugly and an eyesore - I'm determined to get it shifted this year.

Before - Bed 3 - the fruit bed. the rubbish has gone from this area but it needs working over, weeding, the plants cared for, straw around the strawberries replaced and the plants fed.

"Before" - Bed 3 - the fruit bed. the rubbish has gone from this area but it needs working over, weeding, the plants cared for, straw around the strawberries replaced and the plants fed.

Before - greenhouse area. There is the possibility of a greenhouse donated by a friend, this year, but if not, ill probably fill the hole that the greenhouse should go in, in, and grow something in that space.

"Before" - greenhouse area. There is the possibility of a greenhouse donated by a friend, this year, but if not, i'll probably fill the "hole" that the greenhouse should go in, in, and grow something in that space.

before - side garden. This probably wont be used this year, although i might take up the bricks making up the beds, dig up the grass and sow a wildflower meadow instead.

"before" - side garden. This probably won't be used this year, although i might take up the bricks making up the beds, dig up the grass and sow a wildflower meadow instead.

before - area under the bedroom window. you can see how bad it is here, piled high, haphazardly.

"before" - area under the bedroom window. you can see how bad it is here, piled high, haphazardly.

Now i’ve shown you the bad, the ugly.. here’s the during and after shots…

during - having pulled most of the stuff out (except under the table, i aint going under there, no siree! i found enough snails, slugs and bugs as it was..) it was a case of sorting things out...

"during" - having pulled most of the stuff out (except under the table, i ain't going under there, no siree! i found enough snails, slugs and bugs as it was..) it was a case of sorting things out...

.. and in the process, discovered lots and lots of pots, mostly plastic, mostly still serviceable.

.. and in the process, discovered lots and lots of pots, mostly plastic, mostly still serviceable.

during - area underneath bedroom windowsill. you can see concrete!

"during" - area underneath bedroom windowsill. you can see concrete!

after - once id put the coldframe back, i decided to put the empty pots in there as well, until im ready for them. might as well.

"after" - once i'd put the coldframe back, i decided to put the empty pots in there as well, until i'm ready for them. might as well.

after - clearing the stuff up and putting it back was quicker than i thought, so i looked around for something else to do, and my eye fell on the various pots, which have spring bulbs coming through. so i weeded those. this pot (old drawer from a metal office desk that was dumped) has bluebells in.

"after" - clearing the stuff up and putting it back was quicker than i thought, so i looked around for something else to do, and my eye fell on the various pots, which have spring bulbs coming through. so i weeded those. this "pot" (old drawer from a metal office desk that was dumped) has bluebells in.

after all neat and tidy now... ish.

"after" all neat and tidy now... ish.

still to do - bed 5, which is full of weeds and fallen branches. It needs digging over, plant care, and weeding.

still to do - bed 5, which is full of weeds and fallen branches. It needs digging over, plant care, and weeding.

still to do - Bed 2, which needs weeding and digging over

still to do - Bed 2, which needs weeding and digging over

still to do - bed 1, which also needs weeding and digging over, but not before ive removed some plants which are growing there (like some garlic which got left behind).

still to do - bed 1, which also needs weeding and digging over, but not before i've removed some plants which are growing there (like some garlic which got left behind).

still to do - the other end of bed 5, you can see some pretty big weed/grass tufts in there.

still to do - the other end of bed 5, you can see some pretty big weed/grass tufts in there.

I’ll post more photos of work as i get it done… (slowly)!

Advertisements