i got bed 1 dug out, as i said i was going to do earlier! Boy, my back aches now though. It looks much better than it did before: the sides stand up straight and now run straight, instead of being slightly wonky and figure of eight-ish. Unfortunately in digging up the wooden sides, some of the wood just splintered and crumbled – rotted – and i had to recreate the bed from other wood, and bricks. I am now all out of bricks so i’m not digging up any more beds like this! I am, however, very pleased with the improvement, it looks much much better. Tomorrow i just have to rake it out and then give it a week or so for the weeds to come up (which they invariably will), and then i can weed it thoroughly.

[Today was also the day of the great slug massacre: in digging up the sides, i found large, repulsive inch or more long slugs hibernating on the wood. I fetched the ammonia and water mix with glee and poured some on the slugs. Dispatched about 15 slugs that way. I is the slug serial killer!! (some may find this attitude repulsive: my answer is, they’ve had enough of my bloomin plants over the years that they can bloomin well pay the price!)]

Bed 1 - all dug out, the sides replaced. Just need to sort the soil out now.

Bed 1 - all dug out, the sides replaced. Just need to sort the soil out now. Much straighter.

photos behind the cut, along with a comparison photo and photos from yesterday’s work, which involved pricking out both the geraniums and nasturtiums (germies and nasties, i call ’em), which are now in the cold frame, and sowing more seeds – more nasties, more broadies (bunyard’s exhibition and sutton the dwarf), and a “greenhouse” tray with beetroot, radish and lettuce. Once those are good and big i can plant them straight out into the ground as plug plants. I also strengthened the arbor with the use of some cable ties and long canes (need some more of those) and put wire eyelets into the pallet, strung wire across and stood the pallet on end, between the table and bed 7. I can grow something up the pallet – probably black forest courgette – and i can push the wheelbarrow under the table, behind the pallet. It hides it (a bit) and will, hopefully, deter casual thieves.

Do i feel better for having done this? Yes, and no. i can still feel the .. ‘urgh. can’t be arsed’ feeling there, but i am proud of myself for working through it and getting done what i wanted to have done. Even though my back hurts. I sat down after i had finished, around 6ish, with a nice cup of cinnamon tea, on my gardener’s stool (you know the one, that every gardener has, to sit on with a nice cuppah tea and survey their realm, decide what they’re going to do next, plot and plan kind of thing) and THAT felt good. that i will admit to. 🙂

old photograph showing bed 1 - you can see that a) the right side is wonky, and b) the sides are slowly falling outwards because there isnt enough support on the other side to hold them upright.

old photograph (from february this year) showing bed 1 - you can see that a) the right side is wonky, and b) the sides are slowly falling outwards because there isn't enough support on the other side to hold them upright.

strengthened arbor, plus the pallet next to the table. its quite nice out there - once i get sweetpeas growing up the sides, a chair out there, i can use the little stool thats there at the moment as a table, and i have a storm lantern that takes tea candles that i can put on the stool. On a hot summers night itd be lovely there.

strengthened arbor, plus the pallet next to the table. its quite nice out there - once i get sweetpeas growing up the sides, a chair out there, i can use the little stool that's there at the moment as a table, and i have a storm lantern that takes tea candles that i can put on the stool. On a hot summer's night it'd be lovely there.

a peek inside the coldframe. Mostly loo roll tubes with seeds germinating - i hope - but at the bottom of the picture you can see my transplanted germies and nasties...

a peek inside the coldframe. Mostly loo roll tubes with seeds germinating - i hope - but at the bottom of the picture you can see my transplanted germies (in the small red pots) and nasties (in the larger square pots)...

Advertisements